SPAGHETTI SQUASH AND TURKEY MEATBALLS
Spaghetti squash; this wonderful veggie that God gave the world in replacement of carb-ridden pasta. I am so crazy in love with this stuff. I mean at only 30 calories a cup how could you not be?? And it is the easiest thing in the world to make!! Needless to say I make it all the time, but this week I decided to mix it up a bit and make it with something besides marinara so sifting through the fridge.. Oh pesto was the answer. Sure maybe it is by far not the healthiest thing in the world, but at 80 calories per tbsp. if you don’t go crazy with it, this recipe is worth being a little bit bad.
- spaghetti squash
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper
- pesto (I would aim for 1-2 tbsp. to keep it lighter)
1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. Cut the spaghetti squash (I cut the ends off then slice it in half down the long side)
3. Place spaghetti squash skin side down on baking sheet & brush with olive oil, salt, & pepper
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes
5. Pull out of the oven & when cool enough, slide fork down inside of squash and wah-lah your spaghetti will be scraping out in strands
Now I really broke into italian mode and decided to make turkey meatballs.
This was actually the highlight of the dish, the house, and my roommates lives.
These…. You just have to have them.
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup panko (japanese crumbs)
- 2 tbsp. chopped carrots
- 2 tbsp. chopped zucchini
- 2 tbsp. chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Mix turkey, panko, carrots, zucchini, onion, eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl; then form into 1-inch balls
- Add olive oil into skillet and warm over medium heat.
- Add meatballs & turn them occasionally until they are browned (about 7 minutes)
- Add in chicken broth & cover. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 5-7 more minutes until liquid is absorbed. Uncover and cook for 1 additional minute if needed & serve
I am a veggie fanatic so I added some sauteed spinach & mushrooms into this dish and it was the perfect touch!! If you have been trying to wean yourself off of pasta and try to switch over to the spaghetti squash side, here is a great recipe to do it with.