Ok so typically my dinners consist of some type of lean protein and veggies, but I decided I should step up my game and make something a little more interesting. That thought resulted in the birth of these glorious spinach, feta, and light laughing cow cheese stuffed chicken breasts. Let me tell you this recipe took a little more time to make than my usual dinners, but wow could you taste the difference in what a little time and effort will get you!
Ingredients: (4 servings)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- cooking spray
- 1/4 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp scallions (chopped)
- 1 cup of frozen spinach (thawed & drain juice)
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 wedge light laughing cow cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 thin-cut skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray baking sheet with cooking spray
- Heat olive oil in saute pan & add onion, garlic, & scallions and saute for about 1 minute. Then add in spinach & parsley and saute for 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
- Mix the cheeses and spinach mixture together in a medium bowl.
- Season both chicken and mixture lightly with salt & pepper
- Put about 1/4 cup spinach mixture into each chicken and roll up, then place folded side down on baking sheet to hold it together
- Whisk together egg & water in 1 bowl and place bread crumbs in another bowl for your “breading” section
- Dip each chicken rollup into egg mixture then into bread crumbs & ensure it’s coated (hang onto them during this part, they may try to fall apart) then place them seam side down again on baking sheet
- Lightly spray the top of the chicken with cooking spray & cook for 25-30 minutes
This recipe is so yummy and it reminded me of home– like something that my mom would make for me.. You can just taste the love baked into it 🙂 You could really put any type of cheese into this that you want and I think that it would be delicious! I found this recipe here and I swapped ricotta cheese for a slice of laughing cow just to be a little different! I served my chicken with broccoli and mushrooms just because those are my go to veggies but I think that any veggie or a side salad would be great with it.